10. Share a Facebook meme asking everyone to post a word describing how they feel and their favorite class of mammals, then unfriend all the apoplectic marsupials.
9. Try to avoid the nominees whose names are worth the most Scrabble points.
8. Go back to the place where you got your Siamese cat and ask if they have any Bobtails.
7. Ask random strangers on the subway what their Kindles recommend.
6. Check that your nth-most popular author’s blog doesn’t get more than n times as many page views as most authors.
5. Vote for the writing that falls on you from nowhere.
4. Sneak into the File 770 meetup where they decide which are the slate-free candidates and scramble the letters on their Ouija board.
3. Spend more time reading than you do arguing about Benjanun Sriduangkaew on the internet.
2. Whatever you do, don’t take a quick peek at the Nebula shortlist to get some fresh ideas.
And the #1 way to be sure you are definitely not nominating a slate:
1. Read no science fiction writers for one year.